Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Spinners and weavers retreat

I have just returned home from my four day spinners and weavers retreat.Four days at the camp and then another week recovering at my parent's, not that I didn't visit some great craft shops that are not in the country area's  The name of the camp may put some people of ,if you don't spin or weave but its only the name of the group who organise the camp. This year it rained most days and all night , we were all kept warm by an open fire. 
The camp started at 10 am on Monday most of the ladies arrived before lunch  which was the only meal not supplied.
  As the  workshop coordinator I gave out the tote bags with yarn and the first clue to there mystery knitting project. ( thanks to my great testers from knitting paradise knitting and crochet forum for getting my pattern right for me) at 4.30 our first daily shop arrived its an Internet only shop with some lovely yarn and great fibre for spinning here is the link http://www.craftalley.com.au
Craft alley's Shop!

Some Ladies completing there census forms
Dinner at 7pm and then the night was spent knitting etc. with no interruptions.The only real problem was the country decided to have a census on Tuesday night .
Rolling bubble wrap containing fibre, wrapped around a pool noodle  
 
 The first work shop started which was felting. I am now hooked on this . I have since had great complements on my scarf and as you can see from the photos every one's efforts were amazing.
A collection of scarf's drying 

V showing how to needle felt. 
On Wednesday I taught with my mother how to crochet from a chart and Crocodile Stitch. I didn't get any photos because I was a bit busy but the ladies got how to read a chart . After Dinner on Wednesday we had a wine tasting by Woodstock winery. http://www.woodstockwine.com.au/ , I didn't try very much , it doesn't mix with my pain relief. The winery is just across the road from were the camp is held.

Thursday was a very busy day because I had to organize 26 ladies who all wanted to learn how to pain yarn. in the end I had a morning group and an afternoon one. I was very impressed with how well Kathy taught such large groups her method.Kathy has a great web site and sends her painted yarn and roving's world wide here is her link http://www.kathysfibres.com/ Its well worth having a look.
Denise poring on her colour choice. 

Sian dying her sock yarn

Now do I repeat this bit?

Drying yarn

more yarn

love these colours.

   The sock yarn came in two weights , thick like a sports weight and a normal sock weight. I was amazed how easy it was to paint the yarn. we had to then wait for the pots to come to the boil and then simmer the yarn for 45 minuets and then it was left to cool. It was very hard to wait for such a long time to see what we had created.
  Every morning I handed everyone a new clue to there mystery knitting project. Its fun to see how some knitters need the a picture of what they are knitting to understand the instructions. 


 I was trying to confuse the ladies this year,I  had them knitting different toys but I was told on the second morning what one lady was knitting, Thanks Helen I thought it would take longer this year but she didn't tell anyone so the rest of the group were confused until the last day. The rabbits , teddy's and cats will be given to the fire department as trauma toys. I had a great retreat this year and hope everyone who attended did as well , I am looking forward to next years all ready ! 
Ladies busy spinning

Lots of time to gossip and knit.

Diana's crochet squares ready to join. The rug will then be donated to wraps with love. 


No comments:

2018 Retreat

This years retreat only saw 14 ladies attending full time , three others were just day people. Tuesday - Mum taught faux felt book covers ...